Monday, January 30, 2012

Prometrium is Gross

     So this is where you find out that I over-share, and that no information is TOO much . . . at least for me.  Growing up as the daughter of two medical doctors leads to a lot of gross over-sharing, because really no topic is unacceptable for dinner conversation, let alone a public blog.  My parents used the proper names for male and female genitalia and certainly would never use some of the names that I do to refer to my lady parts (even my husband gives me funny looks).  I'll try to keep this technical, but it is hard since I have a pretty foul mouth.
     I've heard that progesterone in oil injections are terrible and I am not going to try to compare my vaginal progesterone suppositories to those awful injections, but if nothing else the suppositories are gross.  They are supposed to be one of the better ways to get a little progesterone in your system and since I had low progesterone during one of my miscarriages, number two to be specific, the doctor recommends it. 
     My really amazing husband inserts the vaginal suppositories for me after I am all ready for bed so I don't have to walk even 10 steps into the bedroom and can therefore remain in a prone position for at least 7 hours.  Perhaps you would think that this is a little bit sexy, but I can assure you it is not.  We started inserting the suppositories two days after our IUI, and I just hate them.  If I sit up too quickly in the morning or have to pee in the middle of the night the stuff just comes out of me.  You can feel it!  Then I am always worried that it wasn't "in" long enough and that too much leaked out.  The paranoia sets in and I am sure that I have destroyed all hope of a baby this cycle.  Has anyone out there had to use these gross things?  Any tips or pointers?  Funny stories?  Please feel free to over-share, since we all now know that there is very little that totally weirds me out.

     As a side note: my lower abdomen/uterus hurts, mostly when I sit down, but it is not crampy.  I don't know if this is a result of the Prometrium or perhaps an early sign that that little sucker did actually implant (this is probably overly optimistic).  Any thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I agree - Prometrium is Gross! I was using it for all three of my cycles as well as the PIO for my frozen cycles. On this next cycle I'll only be using the PIO. Crossed fingers the hurt is a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the PIO better than the supossitory? Let me know how your next cycle goes and thank you so much for posting.

      Delete
  2. Progesterone suppositories are the worst. I always hated them. I switched to PIO for my second IVF cycle and will be using it for my third as well. My tip would be pantyliners. If you aren't using them yet... do so. They are a lifesaver! When I was on the suppositories I had to insert them 3 times a day... so didn't have the ability to lay down for 7 hours afterwards each time... which meant a lot of leaking. Lol. Yuck. I remember those days vividly.

    Hoping this is your cycle! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Denise :) I am going to try pantyliners. I have always hated them because they tend to get all bunched up, but this situation is becoming dire. Suppositories three times a day sounds intense. Are the injections as terrible as I have heard?

      Delete
    2. The injections are ok. I actually like PIO better then the suppositories just cause I was sure my body was getting the progesterone it needed (i was also always worried too much was leaking out with the suppositories) and the 3 times a day was just a mess... I was leaking full time. Lol. If I had to take the suppository only once a day... I think I would have been ok with it. Any more then that and I would switch to PIO. The shot hurts for sure but there are techniques to help (warm the shot in a glass of warm water before, etc) and after a few weeks... you really don't feel it anymore.

      Delete